Thursday, November 3, 2011

Recipe–My soon to be famous chili


So it is all cold and blustery here, and what I love in the cold fall and winter weather are soups and chili. Today I am going to share with you my recipe for some super good chili! It is also so easy! Now my disclaimer is that I never really measure anything, I just dump it in, however for people who cook like my dad I have included measurements for you. I will post my cooking steps then the entire recipe at the bottom so if you want to skip to that go for it!

If you’re using turkey, you will want to add some olive oil to the pan, then brown the meat. If you are using beef, just brown it- no oil. You need about a pound I like to add half an onion on this step. I also do this in the pot I intend to make the chili in. Mostly because I hate dishes.

After the meat is browned- I add the rest of the onion, a 28oz crushed tomato, two cans of kidney beans, I like to mix the light red and the dark red, lots of garlic, about two tablespoons chili powder, half a teaspoon each of paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, cum, and pepper. (Most people add salt. I’m not a salt fan- if you do use salt please use sea salt. It’s so much better!) Oh and some water. If you want to thicken it up, mix about a tablespoon of cornstarch into about a 1/4 C of water until you get a paste and stir it into the pot.
Stir it up really well, simmer it for at least 30 minutes. I like it served with sour cream, cheese, and corn bread. YUM!

I will post a picture as soon as I find my camera cable! Just pretend this is a yummy looking bowl of delicious chili with melty cheese on top.

Turkey Chili
1 1/2 t olive oil
1 lb turkey
1 onion chopped
2 C water
1 28oz crushed tomato
2 16 oz cans kidney beans
1T garlic
2T chili powder
1/2 t paprika
1/2t cumin
1/2 t salt
1/2t pepper
Brown turkey in a saucepan with olive oil until brown, add onion and cook until tender
Add remaining ingredients and stir
Simmer for at least 30 minutes. Serve warm.
(Wow it sounds way easier that way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment