Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Lean on me...

I was thinking today about being a parent, and how having a happy little one playing around my legs is amazing and wonderful, and it reminded me of a story back in December about a dad who was left home alone with his infant twins and two year old. All three kids started crying and he couldn't get a-hold of his wife. He was overwhelmed and he didn't know what to do. He called the police and asked for help. Now some people were mocking him for being unable to parent his children, calling the situation funny or the dad stupid. But I applaud him.
 

 So many parents feel like they are in this alone, there are judgmental friends and family, and a sense of having to be perfect all the time. Stress like this is what leads to kids getting hurt, parents that are overwhelmed and feeling like they can't ask for help. I am so lucky that I have an amazing support system, but there are many people out there that don't.

 I have a favor to ask: Lets reach out to other parents instead of trying to impress them with all of your amazing stories of how awesome you are at parenting, and letting them know that you never had a problem with an issue they are experiencing, be open and honest. Let them know of a time you struggled and remind them that we are all in this together, maybe the next time they are at a breaking point they won't feel so alone, and they will now they won't be judged if they came to you with the problem, and maybe you could help them, or just commiserate and remind them that it gets better.

I am just hoping that we could live in a better community of people, where there is no competitive parenting, just people that help each other. (Though to be honest, I don't think I will ever stop judging those parents that put their kids in ovens or washing machines, no matter hard I try. No one is perfect.)

No comments:

Post a Comment